Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Textures for Your Game!

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
Tony
Name: Tony

Textures for Your Game!

Post by Tony »

Who is ready for some fresh new textures to use in your games?

Just in time to use for the Big upcoming Contest!

Here is the question I pose to you:

Would you prefer one HUGE package of textures to peruse?

Or, would you prefer it broken down into some semblance of organized categories?

Right now I have over 60 new textures to contribute to the community (and probably another 40 to come).

I could break those down into categories, or just offer up a mass-lump of everything...
Which would you prefer?
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Textures for Your Game!

Post by arcones »

Honestly, whichever is easiest for you.

Bar that, I don't like dl'ing multiple files, so I say one large one ;D
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
Tony

Post by Tony »

ha!

It's gonna be a big one, if all in one...

Looking like 80 MB right now... and more to come.

I got a workflow going on right now that is pretty decent. It took a long time to get it set up to churn through this stuff, but I have it going on now.

I wish I could batch-file some of this, but it needs too many unique functions performed, even after I get them all ready to go to the map-generator.

So... most of this is one-file at a time...

You're gonna love these... when I post these, be sure and grab all of it. You know, some stuff you may never use, but some stuff you're gonna really love.
Just going through these inspires so many cool scenes and stuff to do in the game-levels.

a'ight, back to the grind.
- Tony
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Perhaps you could upload all the categories along with a master package with all of them within it?

You could also add some previews, I'd like to see your textures before I get them. Also, are these just diffuse textures, or do they come with any normal maps and the like? (I'm gonna guess so now because you mention a "map-generator".
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Yes, most are 3 or 4 file textures. With a diffuse layer, normal layer, specular layer, and a displacement layer (bump/z).
Some work out better without a displacement map, it's just too much on some of the textures. And some work best on just a diffuse map.
Most though, are 4 files.

I think it will end up being close to 200 textures, and with 3 and 4 files per texture, that's a lot of files man.

I've broken it down into categories, so it's easier to manage. I have 151 completed, packaged, and ready to ship right now.
I still have several other concepts that I want to produce yet. Mostly architectural, just castle and fortress blocks type stuff.

I made some new grass too, the "/grass 1", autograss stuff. Looks pretty good.
  • The categories are:
  • fabric
  • floor
  • metal
  • roof
  • stone
  • various
  • wall
  • wood
Here, I'll cut you a sample, hold on I'll be right back...
...OK, I'm back, have a look.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cfq51itazh8s1z1

These ARE NOT LICENSED to use. These are merely a sample. Load, look, and do not use these.
A fully licensed and prepared package will be released this weekend (Or maybe Monday at the latest).

Make your packages folder "sampler" and put an execute command in the default map file.
Be sure and " /calclight 1 " after applying these. Some of the more extreme tweaks look odd until the light is computed.
Also, be sure to check out the " /grass 1 ".

Comments welcome on the quality, usability, and overall experience with these sample pieces.

Thank you,
- Tony
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Some of your textures don't seem to be seamless, I tested a few of the rock ones

Never mind, I just tested all of them, now they seem to be fine... weird... I'm sure one of the rock textures had the telltale lines down the center of the edges... it may've just been one of the special maps. I don't know.

Otherwise, this is an incredibly good texture pack, I can't wait to use them.
Save the wiki!
Tony

Post by Tony »

I've tested, re-tested, tweaked, re-done, and thoroughly gone over these things about 97 times each.
Even if a diffuse map is perfectly seamless, when applying the other maps together, everything really has to be just right.
I did have to re-edit a lot of the diffuse maps to get it right. It has been one heck of a project, I must admit.
Very, very few of these were simple, run'em-through-the-mill-and-call-it-happy sort of deals.
I've had to manually correct some of the normals, some of the displacements...
...it really has been quite the project. Lots of good learning in this experience, which is a great thing.

Some of the more extreme tweaks do look pretty crazy when first applied.
Be sure to drop a few lights around and compute the lighting before making a judgement call.
These really do work nicely. I can only hope that they function properly for every GPU and every user-configuration.

Be sure to use /glare 0, as well. Or they'll burn under any nearby lights. Some of these are pretty hot.
I am in the process now of completing the packaging. The entire lot will be ready to ship sometime late tonight or tomorrow.

I'm not including everything that I've produced over the last few days, I mean I gotta keep some stuff for meself, eh?
I think the final public release is somewhere around 200 textures, maybe a few less.

This has been a wonderful learning experience for me, and a great opportunity to get back into image-editing after being away for a few years... Good stuff, good stuff indeed. I sincerely hope the PAS community will enjoy and make great use of these.

Cia fer Nao,
- Tony
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

you gonna public domain these, or some creative commons license?

I'd really like to see these included with a new version of Sandbox... but that would totally kill the size. I really think maybe this could be a "recommended download" sort of thing for Sandbox in the future. Can you see it? Main page news- "New version of Sandbox out!", then... "we recommend you also download tony's texture package (insert URL here), as it has many textures you can use for your games."
However, in that case, we'd need a good place to store it online. you see, download links such as sendspace and mediafire expire after a while, I believe. I don't know about dropbox... But anyways, if Mike doesn't go with some sort of repository, then maybe I have a possible idea.
Save the wiki!
Tony

Post by Tony »

The license will be Creative Commons Attribute 2.0 Generic.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0

And yeah... I was gonna try to avoid it...
...but if I am going to be producing a lot of graphics for this project, I'll have to set up a domain or sub-domain to serve it up from.
I can't do the freebie file cloud thing. It's just too ugly man.

Probably try and get that set up and live over the holidays, maybe by New Years if all goes well.
I have space on one of my VPS accounts for it. Just haven't decided where, and if I should dedicate a domain name to it or not... and if not, which existing domain to sub it under. I want it to have a permanent home, if I go to the trouble of setting it up.
(Edit: Some of my domains have been around since the mid-90's, so I'm pretty good about permanence.)

I've made the final cuts on what will be in this package. 177 textures... which is about 600 files... 162 MB.
That's not compressed... but images do not compress much anyway, as they are already compressed.
The only thing a ZIP file really does is to preserve the folder structure on a project like this.

I'm not even sure the freebie cloud will allow that much. I'll find out =)

I've made the cuts, and got it all tested and organized. I am working on a little How-To and instruction documentation to go with it...
...and this baby will be done. I hope to have it available sometime tonight/today/tomorrow...
...depends on how you look at it or what time zone you're in I suppose.

Thanks for your interest man, I do appreciate it,
- Tony
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

I think mediafire allows 200MB.
worst case scenario you can always split it over several archives that are either extracted separately or combined at the end
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless