Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Comment about the appearance of the Social Site

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Comment about the appearance of the Social Site

Post by kddekadenz »

I visited the Social Site again and was really shocked about the new appearance :shock:
In my opinion Dolphin 7 is a better solution then Buddypress, because:

1. It's well organized
- It's easy to navigate trough and find what you want. With Buddypress everything is mixed up.

2. It looks great
- The design is nice and clean.

3. It's up to date
- Everything is fresh, clean and easy to use. Buddypress remembers me at a old community site about Nehrim (where I was moderator), which is now sth. like dead (it still exists, but there is no more activity)

About your spam problem: IP - Ban works and you are able to extend your site with plugins.

I hope you agree with me and want the Site made with Dolphin back or at least a better alternative one.

Feel free to discuss this!
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Re: Comment about the appearance of the Social Site

Post by cork279 »

In my opinion, Buddypress is more organised, and far more user friendly. I was confused on how the blogs worked, changing my avatar, getting to my profile (without clicking the link under the image I posted), etc on Dolphin 7.
However, I agree that Dolphin 7 looks better, and generally seems much more like a social site. Personally, I don't mind which is used.
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

The big reason I moved off the Dolphin site is because of bugs that I noticed with the default install and there is such a lack of documentation and to even post in the support forums I'd have to buy the product which I wasn't 100% convinced would be what we wanted. There are other ones I could potentially try too such as social engine but I really like the activity stream concept of the buddypress site. Also the plugins for buddypress/wordpress are generally free and soooo easy to install. You've definitely got me thinking more about it kdde and also I didn't delete the old site, I just moved it to a different folder. It'd be interesting to hear what other people think. I could set up that dolphin one to have a working link so people can try it out for themselves. Also deleting spammers is MUCH faster in buddypress so that's a nice plus haha. Maybe someone should make a poll? :D

EDIT also with the appearance I can always change the template. For me the main thing is functionality, ability to get support and ease of use of the software.
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Tony
Name: Tony

Post by Tony »

Function First.

It must do the job, and do the job well. Efficiently with the least amount of hassle, and effectively.

As you say Mike, once you settle into a software and set of plugins that you are comfortable with, and that will do the job efficiently and effectively...
...then a custom theme can be applied or developed to suit your tastes.

I would definitely go with whatever has the best management features, anti-spam tools, and robust software first.
Then, the graphic representation can be customized to whatever look you want.

You can clone or represent a theme from some other example, that part would be the least of my concerns. First, get something that works great for your purpose.

Me personally, prefer very minimalistic themes. Whites and blues or greys, very simple, and easier to load with less graphics. That is my personal preference when it comes to "looks".

That all is merely an opinion... I really don't see me interacting much on a "social" site anyway. But, if you are going to provide one, I say make that the most turbo-studly, management-easy, spam-resistant, solid hunk of web application possible... and then worry about how it looks after you get the function right.

- Tony
Rockin' the Web for All the Right Reasons
Image Mind Reading Mastered
Image Canonize Juan Valdez and his Burro
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Mike wrote:The big reason I moved off the Dolphin site is because of bugs that I noticed with the default install and there is such a lack of documentation and to even post in the support forums I'd have to buy the product which I wasn't 100% convinced would be what we wanted.[...] I really like the activity stream concept of the buddypress site.You've definitely got me thinking more about it kdde and also I didn't delete the old site, I just moved it to a different folder.[...]

EDIT also with the appearance I can always change the template. For me the main thing is functionality, ability to get support and ease of use of the software.
That's really bad service, if you have to buy it to get real support :shock:
The problem about the activity stream is, that it may become chaotic, when a lot of people write posts. I don't like the reply function, which was kind of confusing to me. The reply wasn't next to my post replied to, it was on my profile :?
If you don't want to write my full nickname, write kdd not kdde (it's a short form for Künstler der Dekadenz -> German: artist of decadence).

I fully understand your opinion, but you should improve the site ;)
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Yeah it wasn't even to get real support but just to post on the forums period! The more I used it the more limited it felt especially since the plugins were costly to buy. That's a big problem with social engine too, one plugin was over $100!! Then of course just to buy the software was around $300. I don't mind paying money if it is going to help the community but what happens if I find out there was a better choice and I want to switch? I've blown all that dough.

I do really appreciate all of your feedback and it certainly has me thinking on ways I can improve it. Also one thing that makes it a lot more organize is if under activity you switch it to "updates" instead of "everything". Perhaps I can make that a default. Do you mean when you replied to a blog it posted in your profile? One thing I noticed is that if you reply to a blog post in the activity stream, it is not posted in the blog. I'd really like to try to fix that and/or not even have it in the activity stream.

I do plan on improving the site :) It is only going to get better and with wordpress there are sooo many options, it is great :D If I were to fix those things would you like it more than the dolphin site or do you think the dolphin site is still better, and if so why? I really liked the dolphin site too with the image gallery and video gallery on the front, that's what I miss most about the current one though people can just post it in blogs, but I was noticing bugs with no easy way to fix them, including with the default modules that came with it!! One didn't even install properly! Perhaps neither dolphin or buddypress is the answer but we're learning what we want in the social site which makes finding the best fit easier :D Take care and thanks again for all the feedback.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I've signed up for die neue social site (I've been signed up, actually), are you planning on changing the site again?

EDIT: just realized I used die neue instead of the new (before social site), I'm working on a German project at the moment. Sorry for any confusion.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kddekadenz

Post by kddekadenz »

Mike wrote: [..] Do you mean when you replied to a blog it posted in your profile? One thing I noticed is that if you reply to a blog post in the activity stream, it is not posted in the blog. I'd really like to try to fix that and/or not even have it in the activity stream.

I do plan on improving the site :) [..] If I were to fix those things would you like it more than the dolphin site or do you think the dolphin site is still better, and if so why? I really liked the dolphin site too with the image gallery and video gallery on the front, [...] but I was noticing bugs with no easy way to fix them, including with the default modules that came with it!! One didn't even install properly! Perhaps neither dolphin or buddypress is the answer but we're learning what we want in the social site which makes finding the best fit easier :D Take care and thanks again for all the feedback.
-mike
Yes, I mean this, it's really annoying. Would be really nice if you fix it ;)
Thank you for thinking about my critic! When you fix those things and improve the design a bit (the header, the rest is OK), I would prefer Buddypress.
I currently have no idea for a alternative software.
After the bugs are fixed, what's about implementing a poll system?
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Of course your feedback is useful to me :D It is tough for me to improve on it if I don't know what people want/need :) I know what you mean about it being annoying, it annoys me too. The great thing is I can ask the question and not have to pay a ton of money to do so!! haha. I'll be working on it a lot this week and try to have it be the best for you guys that I can :) Any other ideas/suggestions/whatever would be more than welcome!! What about the header is bugging you? Poll system should be no problem, it is officially on the list :) Take care and thanks again for the constructive criticism!!!
-mike
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

As a temporary solution I made it so you can't post blog comments via the activity streaming, you have to click on the blog to post a comment. One thing that is certainly a bit of a difference is people don't seem to be using the new one as much. I wonder why this is and if it has to do with being able to easily post video and images to the front page aka those galleries. I'm also considering purchasing this theme though it is $60 so hmm. I could potentially put the facebook walls in myself using a tutorial.
http://www.buddyboss.com/showcase/

What do you guys think the social site is missing? Thanks!!!