Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Sandbox Space Sim

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
cork279
Name: Corey
IRC Username: cork279

Sandbox Space Sim

Post by cork279 »

I didn't know whether to put this in Sandbox Chat or support, as I have a question too :P

I have had an idea of a space simulator is Sandbox (I'm not gonna make it, it's just an idea I could test). I was wondering whether you all think it'd be possible. Also, does anyone know how to remove gravity in Sandbox? - cause that'd be really helpful in a space sim. You could also change the HUD to look like a coc-kpit, and change the GUI to look more like a ship console screen. The 3D GUI may look awesome in this situation!

Also, it could work as an RPG, as different ships are pretty much NPC's. So their could be trade ships, enemy 'pirate' ships, etc...

For example:
A coc-kpit for the HUD, you could also change the healthbar and stuff to fit into the coc-kpit somewhere. Make a playermodel of a ship for third person view too.

An example of a GUI screen that's like a console menu. It's tiny cause I used it for a Wolfenstein3D style game, so it's low quality.

What do you'll think? :)
Attachments
menu.png
Copperhead_cockpit.png
Last edited by cork279 on April 20th, 2012, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My latest track: Odyssey

Soundcloud - Youtube - ModDB
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Re: Space Sim Idea...

Post by arcones »

Easily possible. You ship would probably become more of a hovercraft though, once you remove gravity (unless Hirato has some way of making you float whilst retaining speed (like in editmode)).

I think it would be fantastic. You could have ports, enemy ships, etc (just like you said). The gui would be fairly simple as it'd just be WASD and mouse.

Anyway, gravity command:

Code: Select all

/gravity ###
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
cork279

Post by cork279 »

I'm going to make a visual demo of it, and decide whether to continue from there. I'll continue if it looks good :D

cork279

Post by cork279 »

The gravity command can only go from 10-1000, so I can't turn it off completely... Any ideas on how I could?

chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

you can't. I'm gonna say that the only way to do so would be to modify the source code so that you can have negative gravity values, along with how those values would change everything.

BTW: interesting location you have there.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
cork279

Post by cork279 »

chocolatepie33 wrote:you can't. I'm gonna say that the only way to do so would be to modify the source code so that you can have negative gravity values, along with how those values would change everything.
I'm gonna have a look through the source code, see what I can find. Other than that, if I fail, d'you think it'd be possible to make the game start in edit mode, disable the E key (or F1) to turn it off, and tweak other things to fit into the game (such as alpha, water, lava, etc appearing as they would in edit mode). It'd probably be more work than editing the source code (and may involve editing the source code) so it may be a bad idea :P
chocolatepie33 wrote:BTW: interesting location you have there.
lol. Anything that makes little (or no) sense is fine to me :D

cork279

Post by cork279 »

Hey everyone. Someone called Tempris on ModDB has told me a way of removing gravity. Expect an update on this soon :)

Sircameron
Name: Cameron

Post by Sircameron »

cork279 wrote:Hey everyone. Someone called Tempris on ModDB has told me a way of removing gravity. Expect an update on this soon :)
Awesome! But any ideas on how it will work? Like will it just remove gravity period like in the edit mode? Gonna have to conjure up a new char movement system to allow "throttle" or it just wouldnt be the same to me haha.. Thanks this is gonna be sweet!
cork279

Post by cork279 »

Yeah, I'm gonna try to find a way to get the ship to strafe left and right, up and down. I also want to get the ship to slow down when you turn off the throttle rather than just stop.
For now I've just removed gravity though, and I'm working on a c-o-c-kpit (the word c-o-c-kpit is censored for obvious reasons) HUD.

Sircameron
Name: Cameron

Post by Sircameron »

cork279 wrote:Yeah, I'm gonna try to find a way to get the ship to strafe left and right, up and down. I also want to get the ship to slow down when you turn off the throttle rather than just stop.
For now I've just removed gravity though, and I'm working on a c-o-c-kpit (the word c-o-c-kpit is censored for obvious reasons) HUD.
I think using vertical bars for the health/mana would look cool if you're using the HUD in the screenies (which are nice by the way). Have you came up with an idea on how you're gonna use the mana bar? I.e as a shield for the ship? Or as the ship's energy? I love the space sim idea haha