Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

A few questions from a complete coding noob!!!

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
WraithLink

A few questions from a complete coding noob!!!

Post by WraithLink »

So I've never coded ANYTHING in my entire life. But I downloaded PAS because I'm lookin to make game creation my career. I finished the RPG tutorial and I understand some of it, but I have some possibly over-asked questions:

1. A: is it possible to make ur character fly via a button command (ex double pushing jump) or fly at all? Perhaps by copying the edit mode movment into character movment, removing the editing part of it, and then mapping said function to a button?
B: and if so, how would I map functions to specific keys?
2. Is there any site out there that gives a little more detail into how the scripts work? I entered the correct script so it all works, but I don't know why/how, or how to manipulate it for my own game designs.
3. Does anyone have some cool spell scripts they'd b willing to share? I'm having trouble figuring out how to create them. Also where are the spell cfg's supposed to b saved?
4. Is it possible to make recipes spawn a critter instead of an item? And would it b possible to make a mapmodel into a craft station (ex a forge)
5. Is it possible to make spells that manipulate attributes/resistences?
6. how do u edit your characters initial stats and inventory items so they start with that?
7. It seems when u start a game u have to manually spawn everything, if I spawned the entities and triggers in edit mode and saved the map would they appear there from then on?
LAST ONE: how do u add an opening title sequence? Such as; title, credits, press start to begin etc etc. Then once this is accomplished, and new game is selected, can u rig it where u select one of 3 types of characters, having each character begin with different stats and spells, and only able to learn spells I can deem specific to their char type?

I know this is a lot but if someone could take the time to answer even ONE of these questions itd b greatly appreciated!!!
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Re: A few questions from a complete coding noob!!!

Post by kddekadenz »

WraithLink wrote: 1. A: is it possible to make ur character fly via a button command (ex double pushing jump) or fly at all? Perhaps by copying the edit mode movment into character movment, removing the editing part of it, and then mapping said function to a button?
Not without editing the source, you could still toogle editmode, tough. For map keys to functions take a look at data/defaults.cfg as a reference.
WraithLink wrote: 2. Is there any site out there that gives a little more detail into how the scripts work? I entered the correct script so it all works, but I don't know why/how, or how to manipulate it for my own game designs.
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... G_tutorial
WraithLink wrote: 3. Does anyone have some cool spell scripts they'd b willing to share? I'm having trouble figuring out how to create them. Also where are the spell cfg's supposed to b saved?
They have to be in data/rpg/games/gamename/items
Effects have to be in data/rpg/games/gamename/effects
WraithLink wrote: 4. Is it possible to make recipes spawn a critter instead of an item? And would it b possible to make a mapmodel into a craft station (ex a forge)
1) no 2) Yeah but not trough recipes. Take a look at this thread(3rd post from bottom).
WraithLink wrote: 5. Is it possible to make spells that manipulate attributes/resistences?
I'm not sure, but I do think so.
WraithLink wrote: 6. how do u edit your characters initial stats and inventory items so they start with that?
add to /scripts/0.cfg

Code: Select all

r_script_signal spawn [
	r_additem self <id> <amount>
]
WraithLink wrote:
7. It seems when u start a game u have to manually spawn everything, if I spawned the entities and triggers in edit mode and saved the map would they appear there from then on?
Yes, they do.
WraithLink wrote:
LAST ONE: how do u add an opening title sequence? Such as; title, credits, press start to begin etc etc. Then once this is accomplished, and new game is selected, can u rig it where u select one of 3 types of characters, having each character begin with different stats and spells, and only able to learn spells I can deem specific to their char type?
You will need to edit data/menus.cfg.
I think the 2nd part is possible, too, but it's hard to script.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
WraithLink

Post by WraithLink »

1. And there's no other way u can think of?
2. So the spell itself goes in items and its status effects/ visuals go in effects?
6. Ok so ID is the item name, amount is obvious, and for beggining stats I'd do the same thing, but with stats?
8. How would I go about that? Not looking for anything fancy just a simple title. And that's ok if its hard I got tons of time lol
WraithLink

Post by WraithLink »

Oh and 2. I went thru the tutorial start to finish, I was wondering if there's a site that gives a more detailed breakdown of each step so that I kno why it works the way it does?
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

WraithLink wrote:1. And there's no other way u can think of?
No.
WraithLink wrote: 2. So the spell itself goes in items and its status effects/ visuals go in effects?
Yes.
WraithLink wrote: 6. Ok so ID is the item name, amount is obvious, and for beggining stats I'd do the same thing, but with stats?
No, ID is the number of the cfg of the item. I'm not sure what you want.
WraithLink wrote: 8. How would I go about that? Not looking for anything fancy just a simple title. And that's ok if its hard I got tons of time lol
I meant that choosing from different characters is hard to script, not the menu itself. For the menu just take a look at data/menus.cfg, it's pretty self-explanatory.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Post by chocolatepie33 »

WraithLink wrote:So I've never coded ANYTHING in my entire life. But I downloaded PAS because I'm lookin to make game creation my career. I finished the RPG tutorial and I understand some of it, but I have some possibly over-asked questions:

1. A: is it possible to make ur character fly via a button command (ex double pushing jump) or fly at all? Perhaps by copying the edit mode movment into character movment, removing the editing part of it, and then mapping said function to a button?
2. Is there any site out there that gives a little more detail into how the scripts work? I entered the correct script so it all works, but I don't know why/how, or how to manipulate it for my own game designs.
3. Does anyone have some cool spell scripts they'd b willing to share? I'm having trouble figuring out how to create them. Also where are the spell cfg's supposed to b saved?
4. Is it possible to make recipes spawn a critter instead of an item? And would it b possible to make a mapmodel into a craft station (ex a forge)
5. Is it possible to make spells that manipulate attributes/resistences?
6. how do u edit your characters initial stats and inventory items so they start with that?

I know this is a lot but if someone could take the time to answer even ONE of these questions itd b greatly appreciated!!!
1. For the flying, Red Eclipse has the ability to fly via double-pressing the spacebar button, it's for their "jetpack" mutator in matches, you may want to look into that. Red Eclipse is a lot of fun. Also, for specifying certain buttons, look into keybinds.

2. already answered

3-7: RPG is not my area of expertise, so I don't know. But for the mapmodel part of number 4, I might be able to help if you explained a little bit more. For number 5, that should be possible, as that's kind of a basic RPG thing.

8. You could use a cutscene (like in the RPG game mystara), or you could just modify the menu. If you use the batch files, they will open up a menu in front of the loadingscreen. You could make a modification of that. As for selecting characters, I believe you could do that. However, that would entail creating three different versions of the game, each game dependent on the character. That would actually be kind of cool; make all the characters meet in a different way in each story.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!