Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Lavaland

Chat and ask questions about Water Gun Wars here!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Lavaland

Post by chocolatepie33 »

this is a basic layout of a lava-themed waterwars map. It was made in the stable release version of 2.7.1, so it has purely geometry and whatnot, no special entities. Lighting is a combination of sunlight and skylight.
If someone would like to load this in the SVN version and prep it for waterwars, then go ahead. Personally, I found myself to be incredibly lazy while I made this map, so I don't think it's very well done. Therefore, I'm going to call it a concept map and give full rights to Mike and the Platinum Arts Sandbox project foundation (or something like that) to do whatever they want with it.

So far, I have no name for it, if I had to put it in story form to describe it...

"These are the ruins of what may have been a temple which existed in this volcano long ago. We don't know what happened to the people here, or who they were, but we do know that they left this land and the temple behind. The temple is now falling apart and is being slowly destroyed by the magma here."

Now for screenies:
screenshot_75431.png
screenshot_74106.png
screenshot_71817.png
As you may or may not be able to see, features of the map include two large areas which may be suitable for bases, a large raised arena-style area for battle, and various small islands and other areas where you must hop around to avoid landing in lava and dying.

I used the dev-texture that Sauer and RE use on their maps (the grey tiles), I believe I took all uses of that out, but if I missed a few, then tell me about it later. Also, my version of Sandbox is modified, so if you're experiencing other problems, then report them to me please.

I'm taking suggestions for names, once I have my top 3 or 4 I'll make a poll. I was thinking of something like "Lavitic ruins" or "Magma Chamber" (the second being relatively basic and unoriginal).

Now called Lavaland.

Map Download:
lava-wars.zip
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by chocolatepie33 on July 2nd, 2012, 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
kid matthew
Developer
Developer
Name: Matthew
IRC Username: Kid_matthew

Re: [Currently Nameless] Waterwars Map

Post by kid matthew »

I'm downloading I'ma probably modify it. if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Matthew
Lost Lands Work In Progress <3 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2522 <3
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

The main reason I made the Watergun Wars! section was so that people can post related stuff so it is definitely appropriate. Perhaps we should try it out during the next gameplay session! Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Runescapedj
Name: Michiel
IRC Username: Sandboxdj

Post by Runescapedj »

It looks good, but I think itd be better with some more vertical stuff, it looks pretty flat now
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

What gamemode are you think about for this? Also you might want to significantly limit the snipergun on here as it seems like it'd be a bit powerful. It seems like the map would be good as a base capture and/or CTF map. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

kid matthew wrote:I'm downloading I'ma probably modify it. if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Matthew
That's great, I was thinking either you or Rune could get it and fix it up for WaterWars. I don't mind, it should be Mike you ought to ask that though since I gave the rights to him.
Mike wrote:The main reason I made the Watergun Wars! section was so that people can post related stuff so it is definitely appropriate. Perhaps we should try it out during the next gameplay session! Take care.
-mike
Mike wrote:What gamemode are you think about for this? Also you might want to significantly limit the snipergun on here as it seems like it'd be a bit powerful. It seems like the map would be good as a base capture and/or CTF map. Take care.
-mike
Okay, that's good. Feel free to try it, it's yours now. As for gamemode, I was thinking drenchmatch (as that's what I like to play) while I made it, but it could easily work for base capture or CTF. Again, you own it, you make the decisions.
Runescapedj wrote:It looks good, but I think itd be better with some more vertical stuff, it looks pretty flat now
Yeah, I wasn't really sure what else I could have done, I wasn't feeling too well when I made this, so it's not super well done, and I also didn't want to necessarily overcomplicate it.
Save the wiki!
arcones
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Timothy
IRC Username: I use Steam

Post by arcones »

Well, you could just give the map to the community as well. It'd be no biggie, especially since this forum belongs to PA. :)
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

arcones wrote:Well, you could just give the map to the community as well. It'd be no biggie, especially since this forum belongs to PA. :)
Already done, Mike owns the rights. As mentioned.
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

As much as I appreciate you "giving" me the map I really believe in giving people credit and I think it is important that people license their work in a way that they feel comfortable with and also helps them. So I'd definitely at least like to have your map under some kind of creative commons license giving you credit. That said, I'd love to do a coop session sometime to test it out especially since we don't have any other ones to try yet. What is your time zone? Let's set up something official, I'm free Thursday and Friday. Take care.
-mike
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Mike wrote:As much as I appreciate you "giving" me the map I really believe in giving people credit and I think it is important that people license their work in a way that they feel comfortable with and also helps them. So I'd definitely at least like to have your map under some kind of creative commons license giving you credit.
look, if you'd like, you could say that I'm the maker, but decided to provide you rights to the map, similar to the license shown here, in main/data/readme.txt:

Code: Select all

by Markus "makkE" Bekel. 

Made for the Platinum Arts Sandbox Project.
I hereby hand all the rights to these files over to Mike "calimer" Tomaino so he may handle the files as he sees fit.

Files include:
guioverlay.png
guiskin.png
guislider.png

And contents of packages/icons

if you don't feel like doing that, then just go with a CC-BY (Creative Commons - Attribution) license.
Mike wrote:That said, I'd love to do a coop session sometime to test it out especially since we don't have any other ones to try yet. What is your time zone? Let's set up something official, I'm free Thursday and Friday. Take care.
I couldn't join the session, as I don't have SVN, the map was made in 2.7.1, and I believe Kid Matthew decided to load it in his SVN and add the other necessary stuff to the map. I'm totally fine with you guys testing it, if you get this working, tell me how it went.

@All: get some name suggestions up here! If you get the coop session running, try to think of a fitting name then.
Save the wiki!