Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Waterwars Rules, Settings, etc

Chat and ask questions about Water Gun Wars here!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team
IRC Username: CP

Waterwars Rules, Settings, etc

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I've been thinking about what I could do for another map, and I was wondering what the settings, rules and whatnot for waterwars exactly includes.

By this I mean stuff like what weapons are there, what modes do we have, how many teams are there (specifically 2 or 4), how many players can be on (determined by player per team and number of teams), stuff like that.
I realize that the testing session(s) will be for determining these, but early on, what do you think would be some good standards and such for maps?

Perhaps later on this could be some kind of reference for mapmaking? Anyways, lists are nice, explanations of some stuff that may be considered vague or complicated along with descriptions are nice as well.
Julius wrote:Contribute to http://www.opengameart.org NOW!
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Waterwars Rules, Settings, etc

Post by Mike »

Great question! I think for right now it will be two teams and the numbers on each team can vary a lot. Generally what mappers do is gear maps team for a set size, like 4 player map, 8 player map, etc, and go from there. Unless you had a desire to make a big map I'd start with smaller maps simply because our beta tests will be with smaller groups. Of course that is all up to you as well. Does that answer your question well enough or did I miss anything? I still have some work to do to get CTF and TDM up and running but hopefully soon!! Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Mike wrote:I think for right now it will be two teams and the numbers on each team can vary a lot. Generally what mappers do is gear maps team for a set size, like 4 player map, 8 player map, etc, and go from there. Unless you had a desire to make a big map I'd start with smaller maps simply because our beta tests will be with smaller groups.
Alright, got that. Two teams with varying player numbers.
Mike wrote:Does that answer your question well enough or did I miss anything? I still have some work to do to get CTF and TDM up and running but hopefully soon!! Take care!
I was also wondering what modes we currently have that work well enough to be included in the initial release, and also what weapons and goodies (pickups) there are so I can plan my map(s) around those.

Anyways, looking forward to your reply, thanks for the info.
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

We need to get your DNS stuff in gear, but couldn't you just download the waterwars .cfg in the data/fps folder and the waterwars binary from the SVN through your webbrowser?
http://www.svn.kids.platinumarts.net/32 ... ox_fps.exe
http://www.svn.kids.platinumarts.net/32 ... faults.cfg

Of course you wouldn't have any of the models though you could just grab the ones from Cube 2 and put them in or whatever. Also you might want to snag waterwars.bat and wwtest.ogz from the SVN too. You should be able to join the beta test just with that stuff actually (of course putting that stuff in an existing SB install). Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

Mike wrote:We need to get your DNS stuff in gear, but couldn't you just download the waterwars .cfg in the data/fps folder and the waterwars binary from the SVN through your webbrowser?
Dunno what you mean about DNS, but I'll try getting WW to work through what you suggested.
Mike wrote:Of course you wouldn't have any of the models though you could just grab the ones from Cube 2 and put them in or whatever. Also you might want to snag waterwars.bat and wwtest.ogz from the SVN too. You should be able to join the beta test just with that stuff actually (of course putting that stuff in an existing SB install). Take care.
Sure, I could try to use a Sauer or RE model for all that. As for the .bat and map file, I have both of them.

Just to be sure: so Water Wars is like a restoration of FPS mode to what it used to be, somewhat?

I'm likely not going to be able to make it to the main coop session because I'll be really busy Saturday night, I'll see if I can get in earlier. if KM got my map fixed up and ready to roll, then feel free to test that as you'd like.
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I thought you were the one that said you had some DNS problems or whatever and that is why you couldn't download the SVN. If you can download the SVN then just do that :D
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

I can't get an SVN client because I can't install one due to admin issues, windows os.
Save the wiki!
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Ah, well then get your parents to give it admin access silly :)
chocolatepie33
Support Team
Support Team

Post by chocolatepie33 »

@mike: they probably wouldn't let me, they're relatively paranoid when it comes to this kind of stuff. However...

good news! I finally found a version of an SVN client that you don't need to install. I'm downloading the SVN right now. I think.
Save the wiki!
kid matthew
Developer
Developer
Name: Matthew
IRC Username: Kid_matthew

Post by kid matthew »

Hurrah CP get in the irc. Get ready,

Cheers,
Matthew
Lost Lands Work In Progress <3 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2522 <3