Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Unable to change maps correctly following the tutorials

Chat and ask questions about the RPG Maker Mode here.
5ro4

Unable to change maps correctly following the tutorials

Post by 5ro4 »

I'm following the RPG tutorial (http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... G_tutorial) and I'm stuck at part 6, on the changing maps step.

Code: Select all

This now brings us to the most important, we need to define some means of getting in and out of the dungeon. We will need two triggers and scripts to do this. We will be using a special trigger flag that will make the trigger invisible and we will be using the collide script slot to trigger area transitions. If you like me, dislike that, use the interact slots instead. Spend some time first finding a model that fits the entrance to your cavern/dungeon well and would guarantee a collision before continuing. First off, let's define the scripts for our triggers.
11.cfg
 r_script_signal collide [
  r_teleport actor 0 tutorial2
]
12.cfg
 r_script_signal collide [
  r_teleport actor 0 tutorial1
]
The scripts would literally move whatever touches it to the specified map at teledest 0, but more on that later. We will now define our triggers.
1.cfg
 r_trigger_name "Enter cavern"
r_trigger_script 11
r_trigger_mdl "ahab/castle_door"
r_trigger_flags $TRIG_INVIS
2.cfg
 r_trigger_name "Leave cavern"
r_trigger_script 12
r_trigger_mdl "ahab/castle_door"
r_trigger_flags $TRIG_INVIS
With that done, you can now spawn the triggers at their respective places. After doing that, spawn teledest ents with a tag of 0 outside the immediate area, so that the teleport command has a destination to place anything it teleports.
I do all of that and I can change from map tutorial1 to tutorial2, but can't get back to tutorial1 from there. I think the problem is that it only allows me to select 0 or -1 as the index for a trigger. I can't make a trigger with index 1, so I can't use 12.cfg

I also tried to follow the tutorial "How to make a trigger load another map" (http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/in ... nother_map) but none of that seems to work, I just go through the mapmodel if it's invisible or bump into it if it's not, but nothing happens.

So far I'm unable to figure out what's wrong, so I would really appreciate some help.

I'm using RPG mode of version 2.8.2 on Windows 7 (64 bit).
5ro4

Re: Unable to change maps correctly following the tutorials

Post by 5ro4 »

I managed it by looking at Master Chef Ogro and using spawns and mapscripts instead of triggers. I was unable to do it like any of those tutorials say. They should be updated and clarified.

I would have really apreciated some help here. Wasted a lot of time figuring it out.
kddekadenz
Name: kdd

Post by kddekadenz »

5ro4 wrote:I do all of that and I can change from map tutorial1 to tutorial2, but can't get back to tutorial1 from there. I think the problem is that it only allows me to select 0 or -1 as the index for a trigger. I can't make a trigger with index 1, so I can't use 12.cfg
I'm assuming you are not using the most recent version from github, but that's no problem.
In the old version scripts need to be numbered.
You should have created the following scripts for this method (in case your game was named xyz):
data/games/xyz/triggers/1.cfg
data/games/xyz/triggers/2.cfg

and
data/games/xyz/scripts/11.cfg
data/games/xyz/scripts/12.cfg

Note that you need to have at least 10 other cfg files in /scripts.

Ingame you need to use the following commands: /newent trigger 1 and /newent trigger 2
That should do the job.

And yes, the documentation currently is *censored*. The reason is, that Hirato does not document muchly, until he is sure that not much things will change.
The way I explained would not work with the most recent version from github for example, since we now can use strings as names (e.g. teleport1.cfg and teleport2.cfg). The documentation will be better once the engine gets in Beta state.
Kelgar is an advanced RPG beeing developed in Sandbox
5ro4

Post by 5ro4 »

Ingame you need to use the following commands: /newent trigger 1 and /newent trigger 2
That's what I needed. Thank you for answering.