Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

RPG Express 2.7.1

Have any cool screenshots and/or projects to show off? Post your content here!
(If you need somewhere to post your images, why not use our gallery?)
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RPG Express 2.7.1

Post by Mike »

Have you seen Hirato's fork of the RPG?
https://github.com/Hirato/lamiae

He doesn't want me to put it on the SB site and it does use newui but maybe it has stuff in it that you need to be done. I think sometime it would be good for us to talk. Can you come in IRC sometime or are you on Facebook? Take care!
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

Why are you directly using/touching 3dgui/newui?
The RPG is set up so you don't have to touch or interact with any of that stuff unless you want to theme it or alter the design and layout.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
northstar
Name: steven

Post by northstar »

hey guys (mike, hirato)...

yeah, thats kindof what i want to do (theme it and alter design and layout)... i noticed that 3dgui is not longer a part of the src, and maybe i can somehow couple it back in as a choice (but i'm not really banking on that one)... i really like the newui"s quest log, but i don't like the chats... it really comes down to game ambience and player/game experience... and i have to start from the beginning with whatever way i decide to go, as the way triggers are handled has changed... so this has to be decided and sorted out first...

agreed that menu's and such have nothing to do with the game, the plot, the storyline etc... but if you're talking to me you may as well say "just use stdworld instead of bumpparralaxworld"... to me a game is an experience from the opening music to the victory movie, and every little thing plays an integral part in it... it's just me guys, and has nothing to do with the engine... i still say it is a sweet little engine...

btw mike, i wasn't ignoring your request... i just don't have any of those things... i don't even own a phone :)
Hirato
Developer
Developer

Post by Hirato »

northstar wrote:yeah, thats kindof what i want to do (theme it and alter design and layout)... i noticed that 3dgui is not longer a part of the src, and maybe i can somehow couple it back in as a choice (but i'm not really banking on that one)... i really like the newui"s quest log, but i don't like the chats... it really comes down to game ambience and player/game experience... and i have to start from the beginning with whatever way i decide to go, as the way triggers are handled has changed... so this has to be decided and sorted out first...
If you give me a mockup, I'd be more than happy to implement it if I like it, or at least adjust the current one based on reasonable feedback.
Hirato
Developer
Developer

Post by Hirato »

I'd also like to mention that on my todo list is the ability for games upon loading to override or complement the default GUIS with their own.
it's a bit of a pain to do because cubescript doesn't have a stack or a means of storing a state you can just fall back to.
northstar

Post by northstar »

i think i'm going to start from the start and work within 2.7.1 and see how that plays out... being as i'm not a coder i'm expecting a lot of learning from my mistakes, but such is life... if i work within what already exists, i can pull from sauer and quadropolis if i have to, and i have the 2.8 rpg game cfg's i can look at... it's kinda like, so what if the triggers work different... they still work...

i really don't expect too much trouble until i meet my first critter... i need punch and sword action back in... and thats about 30 seconds into the game. as for the inventory i might just simplify it to the sauer inventory... (sigh) i don't know... i need an iqm hero and i haven't even started that, but a have a 1400 tris female model i've made in blender... its quite a load, i can see why udk and such use hundreds of people and 3 years to make a game...

but (shrug) sometimes i read too much into things... most of 2.7 works well enough to make a game, and it's a rather simple game with shops and containers and a couple quests, pickups, switches and doors... and most of that stuff already works (from wiki)... i suppose it's just in how you look at it...

but it's only been a couple days and i'll see which way the river flows... first i need my intro cutscene with animated text... trigger the chest to inventory and make a journal bound to 'J'.. then the critter faction with a hero... and its all pretty much downhill from there...
northstar

Post by northstar »

my female hero... 825 tris... but still needs a lot of work

be awhile B4 i can get to it... still struggling with cutscenes and wondering if the gameplay wil transfer to the next edition
Wind Astella
Name: Nik Mirza
IRC Username: windastella

Post by Wind Astella »

i think I knew where you got the base model from Lol. Very nice modification indeed.
northstar

Post by northstar »

i think i got the body from blendswap cc-zero a couple years ago... but she does look familiar... her armour is texture painted, all she needs now is a good pair of boots and a really really big sword :)

i was going to use my model, but she starts at 2500 tris (i suppose i could take a few loop cuts out)... oh btw, i was going to ask, are the animations built as 'walk in place' (so to speak) or complete strides in iqm... i should start looking into that... i really enjoy modeling, it's a lot of fun too...
Wind Astella
Name: Nik Mirza
IRC Username: windastella

Post by Wind Astella »

2.5k is really low poly for character really, my model avg at 3k for char and 0.5k for mapmodel. Even the one included with the engine such the rc had 2k of vert. As for the anim, for it to look perfect, the anim shouldn't move from origin place. It must be anim at the origin.