2.82 SSP Mode-Variables not carried forward? & new UI

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
palm tree dreamin
Name: Myst
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

2.82 SSP Mode-Variables not carried forward? & new UI

Postby palm tree dreamin » April 14th, 2015, 11:42 am

Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: 2.82 SSP Mode-Variables not carried forward? & new UI

Postby Hirato » April 21st, 2015, 9:13 am

If you're still interested in the RPG side of things, you could perhaps check out Lamiae: https://github.com/Hirato/lamiae

Your GUI will work just fine.
It's not exemplary but it will do the job.
And I can't comment much more without seeing the rest of it in action as well.

As for the why items don't transfer to different levels, that's simply due to how the SSP module was mis-designed.
If one level defined all the items a certain way - for whatever stupid reason I decided to let people define all the tokens - and you then went to another level that defined items completely differently, you'd either crash or see some really glitchy behaviour, and people can just reset this willy-nilly too.
That change was basically to avoid that from switching levels, doesn't really fix the cause, only alleviates the symptom...
The entire thing needs to get redone from scratch, I had next to no idea what I was doing back then; I just tried to poorly ape whatever quin did for sauermod.

It shows a lot in the RPG module of sandbox too, the first iteration took a lot of inspiration from eisenstern, along with all of its problems of being static, rigid, but very simple and aproachable. I started to crave more complexity so I ended up tacking on a lot of stupid, very badly coded stuff - if you go grab an old release, somewhere around 2.6.x - I don't remember, our SVN's not up anymore with the changelog - I did some catastrophically dumb stuff, for example, I had a reference enumerator that numbered every entity in the game from 0 upwards, this included maps, and this changed all the time, and there was some really dodgy scripting slots that could take these numbers. Basically the entire thing was an awful unsalvageable mess. Incidentally this is why the Eisenstern reborn project just failed, there were about a dozen coders all adding hacks upon hacks onto more hacks until it's just a complete broken mess no one wanted to fix.
The SSP module is in a pretty similar state.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless

palm tree dreamin

Postby palm tree dreamin » April 24th, 2015, 8:23 am

Hirato
Developer
Developer

Postby Hirato » April 29th, 2015, 8:56 am

palm tree dreamin

Postby palm tree dreamin » May 23rd, 2015, 5:47 am

Hirato
Developer
Developer

Postby Hirato » May 24th, 2015, 12:31 am

To build lamiae for 2bit only, just select '32bit release' from the build target dropdown.

Otherwise, it's good to know you're having fun!

Return to “Sandbox General Chat”