Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Textures

Having issues not related to a specific Sandbox game mode? Get help here!
Please also read the rules for support when posting support requests.
Failure to comply with the forum rules may result in your topic being locked without resolution.
Creatorrookie
Name: John

Textures

Post by Creatorrookie »

How do I add new downloaded textures to the textures menu in sandbox?
The rookie in sandbox... :)
GR1M
Support Team
Support Team
Name: Luke
IRC Username: Gr1m

Re: Textures

Post by GR1M »

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=200&p=1121#p1121

If you need any more help just send me a message or visit in the chatroom
Want a user bar like this one? PM Leo
NightFall
Name: Matt

Texture difficulties (New User)

Post by NightFall »

Hello all - I have searched high and low (not only on this forum, but on the internet at large) and have not come up with any information regarding uploading custom textures - that is to say other than the tutorial, and the flash tutorial, which seemed to be a little more in-depth, but still of no actual benefit to me. I have no idea if this is a new-user related issue, such as a common mistake made during the process described in the tutorials, or if this is due to something else entirely (which I'll bring up momentarily) - but I have tried on several occasions to upload textures of my own (512 X 512 .png's to be precise) and have failed each time to correctly import them in-game for use.

The error I'm getting, which I'm sure most of you are familiar with to some degree, is the "could not read [path name and .cfg]". I've followed the tutorials to the letter as far as I can tell, and I'm having absolutely no luck. The only possibility I can see other than simple human error on my part is that I happen to be running Windows 7 Ultimate... Could it be something regarding administrative rights, or the new version of notepad, etc.?

Please let me know, as I have some nice textures (although they aren't separately bumpmapped) waiting to be tried out on the castle I've been building for four days.

Thank you for your time, and any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes to all,

NFI
offtools
Name: offtools
IRC Username: offtools

Post by offtools »

the command for adding textures is:

Code: Select all

texture TYPE FILENAME ROT X Y SCALE
the usage is described here:

http://sandboxgamemaker.com/platinumart ... ml#texture

note that you have to place your textures into an folder inside the packages. if the path for your texture is:

$HOME/sandboxgamemaker/packages/mytextures/nicetexture.jpg
the FILENAME in the texture command should look like this:

mytextures/nicetexture.jpg
to make it short: path to packages is used as searchpath.

(sry, you have to adapt this to the OS you're using)

this could be usefull too:

http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... ging_guide

hope this helps a bit.

offtools.
NightFall
Name: Matt

Post by NightFall »

Thanks for the help - that got me loading textures into PAS, although I am having to do it one at a time (which may be necessary, I'm not sure?) via typing the command string directly into PAS console while in-game.

However, although this doesn't have anything to do with textures necessarily, I do have a (seemingly) major new problem. I made the mistake of quicklighting my map, and now, since I had no actual light entities indoors yet, the map is dark, with the only light coming from glowmapped textures...

If I remap, the lights come back on, however, many of the internal walls, etc. are engulfed in bright light reflections, as if I'm pointing a huge spotlight at them, making half my walls too bright to make out any detail in. This can be solved mostly by turning off glare... however, if I do turn glare off, all my glowmapped textures go flat (no glow)... I never had these problems before that first quicklight, and unfortunately I seem to have inadvertently saved the map while quicklit...

Is there ANY way to simply return the lighting, etc. on a map to the default new map values? - no lighting, only the ambient from skybox (if that's where the basic light comes from - not sure)

Anyway - thanks for your help again - If I can get this fixed, my castle is coming along nicely ;)

Best wishes,

NFI
OMNES UNA MANET NOX