Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Web Design

Discussion of things not related to Sandbox
johnno56
Name: John

Web Design

Post by johnno56 »

Occasionally I tinker with HTML and a tiny bit of flash in the hopes of creating my own website.

Have any of you created your own site, and if so, what applications did you use? (Linux or Windows)

Regards

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Obsidian
Former Staff
IRC Username: Katana

Re: Web Design

Post by Obsidian »

I use Notepad++ for design, for the small things, however I mainly use PDT (PHP Development Tools, an IDE built on Eclipse) and Subclipse.

Mostly, I stick to phpBB as it's a rather stable and secure codebase.

(My website's in my profile, btw.)
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

github: https://github.com/damianb/
Dannyboi
Name: Danny

Post by Dannyboi »

i actually made a website its easy just use the website design sites :D doesnt give you asm uch options but its a good start

-Danny
I'm BAAAACK!!! >:D
Mic_The_Forth
Name: Mic
IRC Username: Mic

Post by Mic_The_Forth »

Yeah... I have done small sites from pure code before... But if you want things exactly how you want them give the Dreamweaver MX trial a go... If you want something totally free... But screws up the code a little go for PageBreeze
What the *heck* did I do wrong this time?

Check it out people!! http://www.rocker-freaks.info
Obsidian
Former Staff

Post by Obsidian »

Mic_The_Forth wrote:Yeah... I have done small sites from pure code before... But if you want things exactly how you want them give the Dreamweaver MX trial a go... If you want something totally free... But screws up the code a little go for PageBreeze
Actually, I do not recommend Dreamweaver MX. It's quite difficult to use compared to most other IDE's that I've used, and I have encountered issues in the past with getting it to save files with the proper encoding (UTF-8 without BOM...is it so much to ask for?)
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Thanks guys,

Dreamweaver CS, I have tried and found it to be ok. A few too many "bells and whistles" to learn. Pagebreeze and PHP, I know nothing about.

My OS is Ubuntu Linux (Debian based) and have tried most of the editors found in the repositories. ie: Bluefish, Screem etc. Dreamweaver ran via Wine without a glitch. I have even tried the basic text editor. I have tried the "no code required" type packages. I have even tried Flash 8. Bit of a steep learning curve, but did an ok job.

I would like to create a website quickly and easily without too much fuss. I am curious as to which apps were used by you guys.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Obsidian
Former Staff

Post by Obsidian »

This is a screenshot of the program I use for Web development...mind you, I code in PHP.
Attachments
PHP Development Tools + Subclipse Plugin
PHP Development Tools + Subclipse Plugin
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Obsidian,

Thanks for replying. PHP looks like a cross between VB and cubescript. How long have you been using PHP for and what else do you use it for? What is the learning curve like?

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.
Obsidian
Former Staff

Post by Obsidian »

johnno56 wrote:Obsidian,

Thanks for replying. PHP looks like a cross between VB and cubescript. How long have you been using PHP for and what else do you use it for? What is the learning curve like?

Regards

J
Actually, it's more based off of C++, as the PHP parser is written in that language. It's not .NET based, so I don't know where you're getting the similarity to VB from. ;)

I've been using it for nearly 2 years now.

As for the learning curve, it depends on what other languages you know. If you're proficient in C-based languages, then it's a heck of a lot easier. If you're used to .NET languages, it's harder.
As it was my first true programming language (Visual Basic 6 doesn't count), it took me about a year to become proficient.
It took another six months to really get into the advanced sections of PHP.

This is also because I learned PHP through the phpBB programming community. There are a lot of different things stressed there, such as code portability (if it can't work on most systems, you need to rewrite) and security (preventing XSS, CSRF, SQL injects).
A lot of programmers say that PHP is insecure. This is somewhat true..PHP provides a lot of opportunities for the programs to be written in an insecure fashion, and it used to have some things that would cause vulnerabilities (register_globals being one, from PHP4...it's disabled by default in PHP5 and removed entirely in PHP6). However, it's always the developer's responsibility to write their programs to be secure.

What PHP is used for? Primarily web development as a server-side programming language, but it also has other minor uses. There's some forks of PHP that allow it to have a GUI (I think it's the QT GUI, might be GTK, can't remember), and right now I'm constructing an IRC Bot using only PHP (with a later version using an SQLite database)
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Wow. That's a lot of experience! You obviously have a lot more patience than I do.

The comment about VB was in reference to the "look". A friend of mine designed a Help Desk program using VB5. Your code "looked" familiar.

I had always wanted to get into programming but never really followed through or did not have the time. Hmmm. Food for thought.

Thanks for the info on PHP. Your efforts are appreciated by THIS noobie.

Regards

J

Live long and prosper.