Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

'Step-by-Step' Sandbox Tutorials with Pictures/Video

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
Clownfish
Name: Brian Busse
IRC Username: Clownfish

'Step-by-Step' Sandbox Tutorials with Pictures/Video

Post by Clownfish »

Hello everyone! :D

I've been making a list of potential Sandbox 'Step-by-Step' tutorials.

Have a look:

http://sandboxgamemaker.com/wiki/index. ... _Tutorials

My goal is to make all sandbox tasks more approachable to everyone (newbies & veterans).

What do you think?

Have any request as to which 'step-by-step' tutorials I should make first?

Have any tutorial ideas I should add to my list?

NOTE: None of these tutorials have been added yet. The url I posted is only a list of these tutorials I wish to create.

NOTE: Some of these tutorials may seem redundant or simple, but I feel they may still be helpful to newbies or used as a quick reference by all.

Let me know what you think of this.

Have a nice day & happy Sandbox'n :D

Thanks! ;)
-Clownfish
johnno56
Name: John

Re: 'Step-by-Step' Sandbox Tutorials with Pictures/Video

Post by johnno56 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mate! You blood's worth bottling!!!

Just what we noobs are looking for. For noobs, like myself with very little programming skills, who at times find it difficult to "pick apart" code, would welcome any and all types of tutorials. My personal fav's are step-by-step with pictures. Just text are ok as well.

I appreciate that this will mean a greater workload on yourself and those who also will contribute, but rest assured, your efforts will not go unnoticed or unapprecited by THIS noob....

Many thanx

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
GoBologna120
Name: Tim
IRC Username: GoBologna

Post by GoBologna120 »

"How to make an endless slide" This one interests me. I'd like to see a tutorial on this one. :)
Yay. ^_^
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

johnno56 wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mate! You blood's worth bottling!!!
:D Hehe Thanks Mate!
johnno56 wrote:Just what we noobs are looking for. For noobs, like myself with very little programming skills, who at times find it difficult to "pick apart" code, would welcome any and all types of tutorials.
Yes I was a SB noob a few months ago. I have been a frequent Sandbox player and chatroom visitor in the past few months. I have learned a lot from many of the Sandbox gurus. I took lots of notes, and I just want to share the wealth! :mrgreen:
johnno56 wrote:My personal fav's are step-by-step with pictures. Just text are ok as well.
Yes, 'pictures are worth a thousand words' right! :) Pictures will help noobs navigate the Sandbox maze easily the first time around.
johnno56 wrote:I appreciate that this will mean a greater workload on yourself and those who also will contribute, but rest assured, your efforts will not go unnoticed or unapprecited by THIS noob....

Many thanx

J
You most welcome Johnno56! I find it very fun! I love teaching and sharing.

Look for my first tutorial in the near future (This week, hopefully tonight). Once I have made my first, and decided on a 'step-by-step tutorial' format, the others will follow more easily.

Is there a 'step-by-step tutorial' that would interest you sooner than later Johnno56?

Anyone else any priority request?

Have a wonderful day everyone! :D

-Clownfish
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

GoBologna120 wrote:"How to make an endless slide" This one interests me. I'd like to see a tutorial on this one. :)
Hey GoBologna120! :D

I'll make a tutorial on this one, however this is quite easy and fun to play around with. Make a slide that is fairly steep so you move quickly. The put a teleport at the bottom of the slide and put it's 'teledest' (or Teleport destination) entity at the top of the slide.

This tutorial will more likely fall under the 'Simple funny things to do in Sandbox' category, unlike the more technical tutorials.

Have a nice one! GoBologna120

I hope to see you in SVN Sandbox Coop Edit again soon! The last one was lots of fun! :mrgreen:

-Clownfish
GoBologna120
Name: Tim
IRC Username: GoBologna

Post by GoBologna120 »

Wow. Even I could've thought of that method. I was hoping for something awesome. :lol:

What about the working circus cannon? Let me guess. Jumppads? :roll:
Yay. ^_^
johnno56
Name: John

Post by johnno56 »

Clownfish,

Thank you very much for what you are about to do. Excellent!

What would "I" want? I would like someone to build my maps for me! But then I wouldn't learn anything, would I?

I suppose, Basic Map Creation, How to script, How to import models/sounds/textures, How to create models/sounds/textures.... I could go on and on.

But I think a series on "The Basics" and moving up to "Intermediate" and then "Advanced" with the appropriate lessons for each level.

So as to not cause the experienced creators to wait, may I suggest that first lesson of each "level" be released at the same time? Then the second etc.

Well, you did ask.

Perhaps when all of these lesson are completed, an eBook could be released, and used as the "Ultimate Reference Guide". Wouldn't that be something?

Did I just hear your keyboard groan?

Regards

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

GoBologna120 wrote:Wow. Even I could've thought of that method. I was hoping for something awesome. :lol:

What about the working circus cannon? Let me guess. Jumppads? :roll:
Hehe well yes the 'endless slide' idea is rather simple, but kinna fun to try out. It was an idea I came across when my kids (Matthew, Lillian) and I were messing around in 'coop edit together'. As simple as this idea is, they loved it! :)

Yes the working circus cannon. Well yes 'jumppads', and yes you could make a simple cube circus cannon with jump pads, but I'm hoping to go a step further here. The working circus cannon I want to make is a combination of a custom map model Daniel_San has made for me, 'noclip' material placed inside of the map model circus cannon to guild player properly, jump pads set to the correct angle, and possibly a script to add a little time delay. Also the circus cannon map model will need to be made into a 'noclip' model in the .cfg files next to the map file.

If discover any cool things to try in Sandbox not on my list GoBologna, please let me know what they are, and I'll add it to my list of tutorials.

:D
-Clownfish
Clownfish

Post by Clownfish »

johnno56 wrote:Thank you very much for what you are about to do. Excellent!
Your welcome ;)
What would "I" want? I would like someone to build my maps for me! But then I wouldn't learn anything, would I?
Hehe, No you would not learn to well this way, but it'd still be fun!

You think about it and BOOM there is your idea.. ready to play :lol:

... Maybe well consider a feature like this in a future Sandbox release. However a usb - neurological hookup will be required. :P 'INSTANT MAP CREATION' coming to a game near you.
I suppose, Basic Map Creation, How to script, How to import models/sounds/textures, How to create models/sounds/textures.... I could go on and on.

But I think a series on "The Basics" and moving up to "Intermediate" and then "Advanced" with the appropriate lessons for each level.
OK thanks :-) I will perhaps divide up my list into appropriate 'series' then. I like this. ;)
So as to not cause the experienced creators to wait, may I suggest that first lesson of each "level" be released at the same time? Then the second etc.
Sounds like a good plan to me. :)
Well, you did ask.
Hehe I did.. and Thank you very much for the input! :mrgreen:
Perhaps when all of these lesson are completed, an eBook could be released, and used as the "Ultimate Reference Guide". Wouldn't that be something?
Another great idea! eBook would be very portable, easy to take on a usb flash drive, or view in an eBook device. So people could study Sandbox no matter where they happen to rest.
Did I just hear your keyboard groan?
Absolutely! :lol:

Have a nice day!
-Clownfish
crusher91111
Name: christian

Post by crusher91111 »

i would love it so much if you made all those tuts cuz im a major fail at programming lol. im working on my own pokemon game i would love to see those tuts it would help me so much. plz do them all :D