Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

Kid Friendly

Talk about anything related to Platinum Arts Sandbox here!
freeze10108
Name: Matt

Kid Friendly

Post by freeze10108 »

Some general questions about things being "kid-friendly"

1. What exactly would be considered "kid-friendly" (like maybe an ESRB or PEGI rating)?

2. What is the policy about asking for help with non-kid friendly projects?

3. Could there possibly be a subforum that deals with non-kid friendly projects that is only accessible via permission by one of the admins?

I'm not necessarily wanting to do anything that's borderline, but it would probably make more sense for me to know what my limitations are when designing anything. ;)
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Re: Kid Friendly

Post by Hirato »

in a nutshell,

anything beyond low level animated violence
and anything you'd never let kids view, which I won't mention should a young soul ask google

if it comes to blood; weapons, gore, we could help a bit, but don't count on it...
keep in mind if it's item #2, expect to get banned :P
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
freeze10108

Post by freeze10108 »

Thank you for replying hirato!

Some follow-up questions:

1. Are all types of suggestive themes pretty muched nixed (I'm just looking off of the back of one of my E10+ games :P)?

2. Is there a certain age group you're specifically looking at when you say "kid-friendly"?

3. Must everything be sugar-coated, similar to Master Chef Ogro (not that it's necessarily bad, but I personally can't write very well that way.)

4. It hasn't been answered yet, so, "Could there possibly be a subforum that deals with non-kid friendly projects that is only accessible via permission by one of the admins?"

:)
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

Are you talking about non kid friendly for the forums, or for your own personal games? Because for your own personal games you can make whatever you want. I personally plan on creating some non kid friendly games myself.

As far as a separate forum, I'll have to think on that. A separate webpage in general might be the way to go with that. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Obsidian
Former Staff
IRC Username: Katana

Post by Obsidian »

Mike wrote:As far as a separate forum, I'll have to think on that. A separate webpage in general might be the way to go with that.
If he's talking about a hidden subforum, that could easily be done with a specialized usergroup.
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

github: https://github.com/damianb/
freeze10108

Post by freeze10108 »

Obsidian wrote: If he's talking about a hidden subforum, that could easily be done with a specialized usergroup.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. :)
Mike wrote:Are you talking about non kid friendly for the forums, or for your own personal games? Because for your own personal games you can make whatever you want. I personally plan on creating some non kid friendly games myself.

As far as a separate forum, I'll have to think on that. A separate webpage in general might be the way to go with that. Take care.
-mike
Well, I'm really asking because I have a big game project that I'd like to start, but the game may turn out to not suit children very well. I'm not sure when/where/if I'll get stuck, but I'd like to make sure that I have somewhere I can ask for help before I get in over my head...
Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

I definitely think that is an idea that could work. As obsidian said, what we'll do is make a group for people interested in making non kid friendly games and only they will have access to those private forums. One thing that is a bit of an obstacle is how do we let people know the existence of that group? Posting it somewhere on the main page could work, but ideas are welcome. Take care.
-mike
We also have a facebook page, facebook group, myspace page and a twitter page[/b][/color]!
Obsidian
Former Staff

Post by Obsidian »

Could be done.

Actually, the forum could be visible on the index, but people not in the group wouldn't be allowed to read the topics.
This might be a possibility.
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

Mike
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mike »

That's a good idea. And I wonder if there should be an age restriction for joining the forum, probably 17 or 18? Though what is a good way to verify it? and/or we could just use a disclaimer "BY JOINING THIS GROUP YOU ASSERT THAT YOU ARE 18" or something. Take care.
-mike
Obsidian
Former Staff

Post by Obsidian »

Yes, that is an issue..as for age restriction, we really do not have a method of verification. We could use the user birthday, but guess what? The user can change that after getting shut out in order to get in.
うるさいうるさいうるさい!