Hi! Welcome to the forum for Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker. I currently have the forums locked as I am attempting to properly update them.

In the meantime please join the new Discord Server!

If you have any questions please e-mail me through the Platinum Arts website.

A few changes! (2.8.1 RPG Mode)

Chat and ask questions about the RPG Maker Mode here.
coopziana
Name: Ben

A few changes! (2.8.1 RPG Mode)

Post by coopziana »

Hi,

So I have a few questions about some pretty harsh editing of the Basic HUD. Some I have managed to do myself but there are still a few bit's I would like to change, also i would like to change a few bits in game: Please see attached image for reference.

1. HP/MP numbers - Since changing the images and resizing them to be a circle I have found that the font has grown with it... I personally would like to either shrink them down to a better size or delete them all together. I'd prefer to shrink them!

2. The Keybinds I would like to move then apart 4/4 (delete 2 of them) either side of the HP/MP, so that there is no more overlap. I may try and find a way to allow for skills to appear in slots 1-4 / 5-8 based on the weapons you equip... but that can wait until i have moved them!

3. In-game I would like each map to have 1 custom piece of music to play in the background that loops. I've found the "Music.cfg" file but don;t think that will help with defining music to specific maps. I may be wrong.

4. In-Game I'd like to change the friction caused by water. I find it a bit irritating that water slows you down so drastically so would like to change it so that it doesn't slow you down so much... but still slows you a little, possibly about 50% of the default move.

5. In-Game I'd like to hide Triggers, Critters, Platforms and items from the mini-map to make it a little less obvious of where to go and what's coming next, with all the blips on the minimap there is no room for surprise as you can see these things coming a mile away!

Any assistance on these questions would be appreciated.
Attachments
screenshot_513085.png
GeekyGuy8705
Name: Jeremiah

Re: A few changes! (2.8.1 RPG Mode)

Post by GeekyGuy8705 »

Those would be some great changes. Can't wait to see if someone can resolve those. Btw, did you change your HUD by reading a tutorial? Or did you do it yourself? I'd like to do that too, for my game. A link or even a tutorial would be awesome. :)
coopziana

Post by coopziana »

Hi GeekyGuy,

Changing the HUD was quite easy (if you have Photoshop or something similar), I figure it out myself. Basically I just edited the images found in PlatinumArtsSandbox2.8.1\data\rpg\hud

I made new images and saved over the original one's to get the look I was after.

To change the default positions of the HP/MP Bars and the Mini-Map you need to go into data/rpg and open the HUD_standard.cfg file and then look out for the following code:

Code: Select all

r_hud_minimap player (- $hud_right 288) (- $hud_bottom 1175) 256 256

statusbar (-f (divf $hud_right 2) 0) (- $hud_bottom 210) -150 200 (r_get_health player) (r_get_maxhealth player) 0xFF0000 1 0
	statusbar (+f (divf $hud_right 2) 0) (- $hud_bottom 210) 150 200 (r_get_mana player) (r_get_maxmana player) 0x0000FF 0 1
Yours will look slightly different as this is the version I have after I've edited the co-ordinates. If you set yours to the same your minimap and hp/mp bars will appear int he same places as mine. Be aware that the HP/MP bar's use the same images from the HUD directory file. titled "hback" and "hbar" and the code puts it in twice and flips one (hence the -150) the Hex colour at the end determines what the overlay colour is going to be.

If you would like me to create you some icons to over-right the originals let me know and I'll get them made up and posted to the forum. If there is anything else I can help with just ask... I'm no expert but I'm a big believer in sharing knowledge and discoveries.
coopziana

Post by coopziana »

Just FYI, I figured out how to get rid of the hotkey buttons. Again in the hud_standard.cfg file right at the very bottom you will see this code (I have commented it out with "//" as I find it causes more problems later trying to put code back in that has been previously deleted.
// loop i 10 [
// index = (+ $i )
// drawhotkey (+f (divf $hud_right 2) -500 (* $i 90)) (-f $hud_bottom 96) 80 80 $index
// ]
I have deleted one line though which is the action for holding Shift or CTRL which changes the numbers. having looked at the code I now see that it's all entirely for items in the inventory. (being 1-10, 11-20 and 21-30) However as I will not really be dealing much in weapon swaps in this game I feel that they are redundant and so have removed them.

You can change pretty much any setting in the HUD_standard.cfg to change the positions of your hud items... but it's not an easy read and there will be lots of trial and error. I took the liberty of removing the Mana bar from the code, as when you have a weapon equipped that uses mana it tells you how much mana you have. As all my weapons for this game will be Mana based it seems quite pointless having a mana bar too.
Attachments
screenshot_105035.png
Hirato
Developer
Developer
IRC Username: hirato

Post by Hirato »

ohai, please don't call your altered file hud_standard.cfg - because it's not the standard HUD anymore.
1. HP/MP numbers - Since changing the images and resizing them to be a circle I have found that the font has grown with it... I personally would like to either shrink them down to a better size or delete them all together. I'd prefer to shrink them!
The "statusbar" macro in hud_standard define text that scales with the bar.

if $arg9 [
		r_hud_text (+f $x (*f $dx 0.125)) $y (divf $dy 64) (& (~ $backcol) 0xFFFFFF) (* 1 $arg5)
	] [
		local text offset
		text = (* 1 $arg5)
		offset = (*f (text_width $text) (divf $dy 64))
		r_hud_text (-f (+f $x (*f $dx 0.125)) $offset) $y (divf $dy 64) (& (~ $backcol) 0xFFFFFF) (* 1 $arg5)
	]
find that code and either alter or comment it out.
3. In-game I would like each map to have 1 custom piece of music to play in the background that loops. I've found the "Music.cfg" file but don;t think that will help with defining music to specific maps. I may be wrong.
Correct, you define that in the map's cfg itself, It's pretty straightforward...

music name_of_track
4. In-Game I'd like to change the friction caused by water. I find it a bit irritating that water slows you down so drastically so would like to change it so that it doesn't slow you down so much... but still slows you a little, possibly about 50% of the default move.
The code for that is in engine/physics.cpp - there are no exposed gameside variables.
5. In-Game I'd like to hide Triggers, Critters, Platforms and items from the mini-map to make it a little less obvious of where to go and what's coming next, with all the blips on the minimap there is no room for surprise as you can see these things coming a mile away!
Can't be done yet by virtue of the blip code being incomplete.
At the moment, if you'd like to turn off the minimap, you can register your maps with the NOMINIMAP flag.
This is not a url, clicking it is pointless
coopziana

Post by coopziana »

Hi Hirato,

Thanks, that was helpful... However (you just knew that was coming hehe) having looked at the src/engine/physics.cfg file i went a bit cross-eyed and had a play around with the integers inside the file under anything i could find that was a "water" or "friction" command and sadly... nothing seemed to make any difference, I made sure I changed the integers to insanely high/low so that it would be deadly obvious what the changes had done and... well it didn't appear to make any changes what-so-ever.

any chance you could copy/paste the code i need to edit as i've been playing around with it for hours and am no further forward.

Thanks in advance.
Hirato
Developer
Developer

Post by Hirato »

You need to cpmpile it, there are guides on the wiki for that.
coopziana

Post by coopziana »

Hi Hirato,

That sounds complicated... But I'll look into it, and post my own version here for anyone who is reading this post... I'm good at putting it into my terms (Simple lol).

Just wanted to report a bug, which I'm sure someone has already pointed out to you but just for reference. I've found that on the Equipment Menu Torso and Feet are incorrect, the Torso item also appears in the Feet slot and Feet don't appear at all. I figure this is going to be a simple linking error. I will have a look through the forum for the solution to this, if I can't find the solution I'll try and figure it out myself and post solution here!
coopziana

Post by coopziana »

Hi All,

It was as simple as I thought:

If anyone else is having an issue with the Equipment Menu, where you equip a Torso Armour and it also puts it into the Feet Slot. (in PAS 2.8.1 RPG Mode) here is how to fix it:

1. Got to the UI.cfg file located in "data/rpg" and look for the following code about 3/4 of the way down:

GenPaperDoll = [
	replaceui [@arg1] ragdoll [
		uivlist 0 [
			uitable 3 .01 [
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_QUIVER "Quiver"
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_HEAD "Head"
				uifill 0 0
				uifill 0 0
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_TORSO "Torso"
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_ARMS "Arms"
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_RHAND "Right Hand"
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_LEGS "Legs"
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_LHAND "Left Hand"
				uifill 0 0
				UIPaperDollSlot $arg1 $SLOT_TORSO "Feet" <-------- CHANGE THIS TO $SLOT_FEET
				uifill 0 0
			]
The last Slot says "TORSO" it should say "FEET" simply change it and save the file and that's the end of that Error!
Hirato
Developer
Developer

Post by Hirato »

Cheers, fixed upstream, you were the first to report this.